Various limitations of servers in Discord
Discord Server Limits
This page lists the various "limitations" imposed upon servers in Discord, mostly to answer "how many X can I make?" questions. It's important to note that other than the 5,000 online user limit, none of these can be modified. There is currently no feature/method by which a server or user can bypass the limitations noted below.
- A user cannot be on more than 100 servers. Once this limit is hit, any server invite will display as "Invite Expired".
- Servers have no theoretical member limit - there are servers with tens of thousands of users (75k+ in once instance).
- Servers reaching 5,000 simultaneous online members will need to contact Support to be moved to hardware supporting larger servers - this is when members start getting "Server Unavailable" errors.
- A server can have at most 500 channels - text, voice, and categories combined. Once 500 channels are reached, no more channels can be created.
- A server can have at most 250 roles.
- A server can have at most 50 regular and 50 animated emojis.
- Servers reaching 1,000 members have the offline members list removed.
- Message limit: 2,000 characters. (note: user/channel/role mentions and emojis contain more characters than are shown)
- TTS message limit: 200 characters.
- Pinned messages limit: 50 messages
- Reactions per message: 20 reactions.
- Maximum attachment size: 8 MB (or 8388608 bytes to be exact).
- Maximum attachment size with Nitro: 50 MB (or 52428800 bytes to be exact).
- Minimum time for idling: 10 minutes.
- Username/nickname: 32 characters.
- Channel topic size: 1,024 characters.